Category Archives: Doppelbock 1

Doppelbock 1

Well, my run of lagers is coming to an end.  The kegerator has been as empty as it has ever been but hopefully it will be worth it.  Doppelbock 1 is the last of my four lagers in a row repitching yeast from one to the next.  My main concern with repitching is contamination but  that hasn’t seemed to be an issue.  I had an extra 2 liters of my schwarzbier and it was fantastic straight out of the fermenter and certainly no bugs or issues.  My technique is pretty basic.  I buy a slab of quart mason jars and only use new jars i.e. never reused.  I have a pressure cooker that I use as an autoclave and I just loosen the lid on the mason jar so the steam can get in the jar but so I can reseal it without exposing the inside.  I follow the instructions for my pressure cooker for amount of water etc.. and then “cook” the mason jar at 15psi for 15 minutes.  I then let it cool down very slowly (a few hours) so that I don’t shatter the glass.  Then, when I rack the beer I want to collect yeast for I siphon off all the beer but an amount equal to the amount of yeast cake.  So, if the yeast cake is 1 inch deep I leave 1 inch of beer on top.  That way I’m about 50/50 yeast to beer.  I take isopropyl alcohol and soak a paper towel and swab the carboy neck inside and outside and then I flame that same area with a lighter.  I swirl up the yeast and beer and then I pour that into the mason jar and very gingerly put the lid on making sure to not touch the inside of the lid or jar.  For a small lager (< 1.060), I get about 2/3rds of a quart jar (which after everything settles is about 1/3rd of a quart or ~300ml of yeast) and for bigger beers (> 1.060) I get a full quart which ends up being ~500ml of yeast.  Not an exact science but seems to work well.

Anywho, on to the Doppelbock.  Nothing too exciting here.  I found what seems to be a really good doppelbock recipe from an old NHC winning recipe – andy waisanen’s “the noidinator” from zymurgy sept/oct 2012.  I adjusted the recipe for my system and used magnum instead of hallertau (not sure why).  He even used the same yeast I’ve been repitching.  Score!

Doppelbock 1
5-C Doppelbock
Date: 4/1/14

Size: 7.5 gal
Efficiency: 80.0% (ended up being 72%)
Attenuation: 78.0%

Original Gravity: 1.088 (1.072 – 1.112)
Terminal Gravity: 1.019 (1.016 – 1.024)
Color: 21.32 (6.0 – 25.0)
Alcohol: 9.05% (7.0% – 10.0%)
Bitterness: 21.5 (16.0 – 26.0)

Ingredients:
16 lb (66.0%) Munich TYPE I – added during mash
3.5 lb (14.4%) Pilsner Malt – added during mash
3.5 lb (14.4%) Vienna Malt – added during mash
14 oz (3.6%) Caramunich® TYPE III – added during mash
6 oz (1.5%) Carafa Special® TYPE III – added during mash
.8 oz (100.0%) Magnum (14.2%) – added during boil, boiled 60 m
1 tsp Whirlfloc Tablets (Irish moss) – added during boil, boiled 15 m
.5 tsp Wyeast Nutrient – added during boil, boiled 15 m
400 mL Wyeast 2206 Bavarian Lager

Notes
mash salts:
1.6g Gypsum
4.0g CC

sparge salts:
2g Gypsum
5g CC

acidify sparge to below 5.8 (~10ml of 10% phosphoric in 10G of water)

should give mash pH of 5.4 ( ended up 5.3)

24.25 lb of grain
1.3 qt/lb = 31.5 quarts = 7.9 gallons
mash @ 150
mash in water temp 161.4 so 162.4 into mash tun

pitch @ 48 and ramp to 50 over 2 days > hold till day 10 then ramp 5 degrees a day to 60 and hold for a total of 4 weeks minimum.  rack to keg and drop 2 degrees a day to 40 then put in lagering fridge @35 and lager for 3 months.  rack to clean keg and force carb to 2.5 volumes.

Brewing Notes:
Brewday was pretty straight forward with a couple kinks.  First off, my mashtun was as full as it can get!!!  I lost just a little bit of wort over the top when mashing in.  I used an online calculator to see if it would all fit and moved my water to grain ratio from 1.5 to 1.3 but I didn’t take into account the deadspace.  Good think I left myself a little wiggleroom in my math!  Here is a picture 🙂

Picture

I ended up with much lower efficiency (72% vs about 80% I had been seeing with weyerman based malt bills) than I normally have which I think is because I couldn’t really stir it combined with the thicker mash.  The end effect of this is I ended up boiling a little over 2 hours rather than 1.5 hours to get to my target gravity.  For a Helles I would be concerned but for a Doppelbock it may be a good thing.  We’ll see.

5/26/14 : pitched ~400ml of packed wyeast 2206 slurry @ ~2pm
5/27/14: 8am no activity
2pm a little bit of bubbling has started but no visible kreusen
5/28/14: nice 1/2″ kreusen with steady bubbling
5/29/14: same but a bit more bubbling
5/30/14: some break material has been pushed onto the kreusen and bubbling is more vigorous

6/2/14: bubbling started to slow but still steady
6/5/14: bubbling ~3-4 sec apart will start to rise from 50 > 60 at 5 degrees a day for diacetyl rest
6/16/14: still bubbling every ~10 sec
6/19/14: still ~10 sec
6/20/14 ~18 sec
6/21/14: no apparent bubbling.  almost a month.  wow!
6/24/14: moved to keg to lager.  took sample but pretty yeasty so calculations may be a bit off.  FG 1.024.  pH 4.68 ( a little high.  I prefer <=4.5).  very clean and definitely no infection.  very, very malty, boozy and green > maybe a hint of acetyladelhyde.  but with 3 months of lagering it should be very nice.